He's pretty cool smile

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/sebastian_seung.html

• sommer33
  • 注册于:2006-12-22
  • 帖子:3091
  • 所在地: BOSTON
发表于: 10/07/2010 15:29 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
he's cool, you have to see his lab: that man has good taste too!

PS: He was SS's PI

• vieplivee
  • 注册于:2004-11-01
  • 帖子:6709
  • 所在地: 波狮炖
发表于: 10/07/2010 15:33 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
sommer33 写到:

That's why I'm posting it here. smile When SS comes back maybe he'll be glad to see some familiar face. haha

This morning I went through this short talk during breakfast. Rather amazing.

• sommer33
发表于: 10/07/2010 15:38 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
vieplivee 写到:
sommer33 写到:

That's why I'm posting it here. smile When SS comes back maybe he'll be glad to see some familiar face. haha

He may be able to tell some inside stories, depends how he likes him wink

• puppeteer
  • 注册于:2004-09-20
  • 帖子:2080
  • 所在地: boston
发表于: 10/08/2010 12:34 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
vieplivee 写到:
sommer33 写到:

I showed it to my students here. They thought it was rather shallow.

Students really have high standards here...
  • vieplivee
发表于: 10/08/2010 13:59 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
puppeteer 写到:
vieplivee 写到:
sommer33 写到:

I showed it to my students here. They thought it was rather shallow.

Students really have high standards here...

ha what do YOU think of this talk? -- Just wondering.

Some nonsense follows:

Let me guess. Your students probably will be thrilled by a talk full of jargons and technical terminologies. The less they understood the talk, the more mentally humiliated and physically challenged they got from the talk, the higher evaluation they will give to the speaker. This is just the same with any topics, not just neuroscience. This is why Chinese education is hopelessly not contributing to the true understanding of subject matters, and possibly, just possibly, why nobody educated in China will ever get Nobel science prize.

Your students should be entertained by the short story The Whore of Mensa, or not? smile

发表于: 10/08/2010 15:01 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
Really want to hear how people in the same research field evaluate this talk.
  • tutu
  • 注册于:1969-12-31
  • 帖子:12427
  • 所在地: MA
发表于: 10/08/2010 17:00 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
Very eye-opening!
  • sommer33
发表于: 10/08/2010 19:26 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
xiaoqiang 写到:

我来我来。这家伙很cool,是个很好的salesman,是个很好的ted talker。我觉得这种项目不拿到tenure他也不敢开干,因为是个劳民伤财的东东。他们试验室目前发的多是methods paper,等到能出真正的实验成果不知道要到哪一天。

如果在他有生之年真的map出一副脑子来,这算不算大成就?算!但是这对脑研究到底有多大意义?很难讲。从做science的角度来讲,这个idea并不新鲜也不稀罕:人们总想如果我们完全了解了大脑的精细构造,我们就知道大脑是如何运作的了。他下到neuron,再下到突触的结点,恐怕终究仍逃不过一句考问:从Architecture 怎样走到 functionality?参见chinese room的故事。最后我们还是不能回答他最开始的提问: are we more than our connectom?

就个人品味来说,我还是比较喜欢simple的东西。好的science,还是应该simple, smart and elegant。比起在黑暗中解一团电源线,我还是更喜欢hypothesis driven的approach。当然,我不是做computational方向的,我感觉就算map出来了,experiment design会比较难。

puppteer来解我一个问题:为什么拿老鼠而不是拿果蝇的脑子来做?反正就是learning/memory,后者省力多了呀Laughing

• vieplivee
发表于: 10/08/2010 20:42 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
sommer33 写到:

我来我来。这家伙很cool,是个很好的salesman,是个很好的ted talker。我觉得这种项目不拿到tenure他也不敢开干,因为是个劳民伤财的东东。他们试验室目前发的多是methods paper,等到能出真正的实验成果不知道要到哪一天。

如果在他有生之年真的map出一副脑子来,这算不算大成就?算!但是这对脑研究到底有多大意义?很难讲。从做science的角度来讲,这个idea并不新鲜也不稀罕:人们总想如果我们完全了解了大脑的精细构造,我们就知道大脑是如何运作的了。他下到neuron,再下到突触的结点,恐怕终究仍逃不过一句考问:从Architecture 怎样走到 functionality?参见chinese room的故事。最后我们还是不能回答他最开始的提问: are we more than our connectom?

就个人品味来说,我还是比较喜欢simple的东西。好的science,还是应该simple, smart and elegant。比起在黑暗中解一团电源线,我还是更喜欢hypothesis driven的approach。当然,我不是做computational方向的,我感觉就算map出来了,experiment design会比较难。

好好好。果然还是你懂行。 smile

• sommer33
发表于: 10/08/2010 20:53 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
vieplivee 写到:
sommer33 写到:

好好好。果然还是你懂行。 smile

恩,我是people in the same research field (SS来了,快跑!)

狂笑

发表于: 10/08/2010 20:54 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
As I said before, you should finish what you left off in Germany. It is a waste that you don't do science.

sommer33 写到:
xiaoqiang 写到:

发表于: 10/08/2010 21:18 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
Here is another mathematician turns into biologist, a good writer as well:

• sommer33
发表于: 10/08/2010 22:59 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
我是文科生,文转理是半路出家,科学太多technical的东西,其实我实在handel不了也没法喜欢。Unfortunately, science is a lot more about hard work on messy details...

xiaoqiang 写到:
As I said before, you should finish what you left off in Germany. It is a waste that you don't do science.

sommer33 写到:
xiaoqiang 写到:

• sommer33
发表于: 10/08/2010 23:07 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
One of these rare talented person I know here is 楼主,who is both good at mathematics (science) and writing (humanity)。