• shornet
  • 注册于:2004-09-20
  • 帖子:31
发表于: 7/12/2004 18:52 发表主题: about manual focus
引用并回复 快速引用
hi, everyone I have one question about manual focus. When you use manual focus to shoot fast moving plane, how do you figure out right focus distance?

My G3 can only roughly indicate 1 m 2 m 5 m and infinite. My shooting window only last 1-2 s. So I have no time to change MF setting during shooting. Last air show, I preset MF distance to infinite. The result is 9.5 of 10 photos which are not in correct focus. If I use AF, it will take at least 5-10s to choose right focus distance. But my shooting window don't allow to use autofocus to photo fast moving plane. Do anyone have any suggestion or experience to share with me? Thanks!

I try MF last weekend to shoot about 200+ photo with full MF settings. The result is almost same with using AF: not very good or not pretty bad, so just ok.

If I use AF, 1/10 photo is good. 3/10 photos is acceptable, 6/10 are totally out of focus.

If I use MF 0.7/10 photo is good. 6.3/10 photos is acceptable,3/10 are totally out of focus.

The objects in two cases are landing airliner plane
AF

MF

AF

MF

MF

AF

AF

MF

• r418mot
  • 帖子:2787
  • 所在地: 加州
发表于: 7/12/2004 19:18 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
I think if you are a serious photographer, point and shoot cameras can never be your choice. I think the only solution for you is to change your camera. Low end DC is not designed to shoot fast moving subjects. Maybe you want to get an SLR: either a digital SLR or a film SLR. Rangefinders with manual option can also be your choice but that is even more expensive than SLR.
  • r418mot
  • 帖子:2787
  • 所在地: 加州
发表于: 7/13/2004 14:01 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
Anonymous 写到:
I think you may take better photos of a fast moving object by pre-focusing a static object that have same distantce as the moving one from your camera.

Hi, you are not careful enough. shornet has already done what you said but still couldn't get good result.