• Yoda
  • 注册于:2004-09-20
  • 帖子:13
发表于: 7/10/2004 23:22 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
In my town I see Shell at $1.97 regular. tongue

But I can't really tell any mileage advantage with Shell vs. other brand of gas.
  • r418mot
  • 帖子:2787
  • 所在地: 加州
发表于: 7/11/2004 00:21 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
I have done some test for mileage and there is significant difference among those different brands of gasoline. The following is the ranking.

1. Hess (surprise?)
2. Irving and Exxon
3. Shell, Sonoco, and Citgo
4. Mobil
5. Gulf

The mileage difference between Hess and Gulf is larger than 10%. Therefore, I have been using Hess almost all the time since I did that test.
  • r418mot
发表于: 7/11/2004 08:09 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
oceanblue 写到:
Exxon and Mobile are the same company but do they use the same brand of gasoline?

r418mot 写到:
I have done some test for mileage and there is significant difference among those different brands of gasoline. The following is the ranking.

1. Hess (surprise?)
2. Irving and Exxon
4. Mobil
5. Gulf

The mileage difference between Hess and Gulf is larger than 10%. Therefore, I have been using Hess almost all the time since I did that test.

I don't know but I have really seen the difference. Maybe the gasoline models are different.
  • r418mot
发表于: 7/15/2004 21:49 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
happy4th 写到:
Did you test those under the same condition of your car.... let's say the air filter might be sort of dirtier when you using Gulf or whatever..... I've never done any test, but just wondering. smile

r418mot 写到:

1. Hess (surprise?)
2. Irving and Exxon
4. Mobil
5. Gulf

If the filter was dirty when I used Gulf, it dosn't make sense that it could suddenly become cleaner when I used Hess immediately after that. I didn't change filter in between.
  • r418mot
发表于: 7/15/2004 21:50 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
guest 写到:
I can't see much difference in my car.
But I do find the MPG varied alot from summer to winter.
In summer, I can get 30MPG. In winter, it is only about 26-27MPG.

I have seen the difference also. I guess one reason is that the tire pressure is higher in summer and it makes difference.
  • shutterbug
  • 帖子:698
  • 所在地: Boston
发表于: 7/20/2004 00:50 发表主题:
引用并回复 快速引用
guest 写到:
I can't see much difference in my car.
But I do find the MPG varied alot from summer to winter.
In summer, I can get 30MPG. In winter, it is only about 26-27MPG.

you need more energy to warm up the intake air and the engine (when u first start your car) in Winter. The difference of the MPG you got is normal.

As to the brand of gas, each company has it's own formula; the quality is different for different brand (there are a lot of criterias for the quality of gas which I wont get into details here), but the gas miliage is not related to how expensive the gas you paid. A common misunderstanding is that people pay more for 89 or 93 gas when their cars only need 87, thinking they can get better gas milage.

another dirty secret of gas station: they may buy certain percentage non-name cheap gas from other vendor even the gas station is running under a brand name, like shell. It's totally legitimate under the contract they signed with Shell. So next time when you pump at a shell gas station, there's no guarantee that you get Shell formula gas Mad